Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Weeknight Racing in Iowa - Part One

 Tuesday night I accepted an invitation to tag along to the Marshalltown, Iowa Speedway as the Dirt Knights modified tour finally staged their season opener after weather derailed previous attempts. With four correspondents from Positively Racing on hand, you may refer to the 4D Fan Report, the Backstretch, or One Fans' Travels for a rundown of the nights racing.
 And even though I had planned to just " be a fan " on Tuesday, I find myself with some random notes to share. Although it was only my fourth visit to the famed 1/4 mile, Marshalltown is quickly becoming one of my very favorite tracks for a host of reasons. Granted, the threat of a pop up shower or storm no doubt created a sense of urgency for promoter Toby Kruse and his crew to speed through the program, but the fact is they did it, and in a non chaotic fashion! Ninety three cars in five divisions - highlighted by thirty six tour modifieds - clicked off fourteen heat races, two B mains and five features in just under two and a half hours! There were a number of contributing factors, including a smooth, fast racetrack. But equally impressive to me was the man in the flag stand. He did not waste laps once the cars were lined up, and he was not at all in love with his yellow flag, giving spinning drivers until the last possible safe minute to restart the race. I suspect the locals are used to this, and it was probably a factor in the first eleven heat races running caution free. Only once did I question his call, when he green flagged a start that looked very much like what he waved off on the first attempt. But again, a judgement call.
  Announcer Jerry Vansickel was also at the top of his game, managing to get lineups and hometowns in with very little time between races. I wonder how he travels from the crows' nest to the front stretch for interviews with the winners without being completely out of breath? Jerry is also a " call 'em as I see 'em " old school type, adding in a bit of humor and commentary along the way.
  As far as on track action, there was plenty of three and four wide racing in the features, and except for what may have been a couple of grudge matches, the slide jobs and side by side duels were clean.
 Congratulations go out to the feature winners, including Richie Gustin who picked up the big check in the thirty lap modified finale to round out the action that put us in the car by 10:00 P.M. and me in my driveway just after 1:00 A.M.
  Momentarily I will be heading out to again bum a ride to Mike Van Genderens' Stuart Speedway for my second visit of 2019. The featured attraction tonight will be the Nebraska based SLMR late models, I am anticipating ( hoping for! ) more good weather, another good show, and one more night with minimal sleep.
  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment