Friday, December 28, 2018

2018 in Review

 With the running of the Junior Knepper 55 indoor midget race at Duquoin, Illinois two weekends ago, the midwest dirt track season came to a close. As it happens, 2018 turned out to be a surprising season for yours truly. Leading up to retirement, I had every intention of scaling back my race chasing, but wound up with my most nights since the 2000 season, with 56. I also set a personal record for tracks attended in a season, visiting 21 different venues.
  Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minnesota was my only first time track for the year, and it is a stop I would definitely recommend.
  My original home state of Iowa led the way, with 14 stops at Lee County Speedway in Donnellson, along with visits to Davenport, 34 Raceway, Knoxville, Columbus Junction, Marshalltown, Vinton, and Tipton, 28 nights total.
  Illinois came next, with eleven trips to Quincy Raceways in addition to trips to Tri City Speedway, Jacksonville, Quad City Speedway, Peoria, and La Salle for 20 nights.
  My home state of Missouri produced seven nights, including Wheatland, Pevely, Lake Ozark, Scotland County, Springfield, and the Dome in St. Louis.
  Fortunately I only experienced a pair of rain outs after leaving home. Stubborn showers wiped out a night at Scotland County before any cars hit the track, and the first try for the UMP Summernational race at Jacksonville was washed out after the late model heats.
  Regular readers know that I am first and foremost a late model fan, and I was fortunate in 2018 to take in late model events featuring Lucas Oil late models, World of Outlaw lates, MLRA, SLMR, MARS, UMP weekly and Summernationals, IMCA, including Deery Brothers Summer Series, Lee County crates, and a hybrid set of rules at Springfield.
  I also was able to enjoy a variety of 410, 360, and 305 sprints, a handful of midgets shows, and regular doses of modifieds, stock cars, and 4 cylinders - yes, if the racing is close, I like 'em all!
  After watching late model racing decline in recent years, we may be seeing a bit of a revival for 2019. As previously reported, 34 Raceway will be adding late models on a semi regular basis under the IMCA banner, with Lee County also being IMCA sanctioned. Independence, Iowa will return to IMCA, and it was recently announced that four tracks in Nebraska will also run IMCA lates weekly, including US 30, Off Road, Boone County, and Junction Motor speedways. And US 30 appears to race on Thursday nights.... I can only assume that the addition of the 604 crate engine package to the IMCA rules is partially aiding this revival. I have heard a couple names mentioned as returning to IMCA, but as of now, only Todd Malmstrom has made it official.
  Names also continue to be bandied about for the Fairbury, Illinois area after new majority owner Matt Curl announced his aggressive payout at the legendary UMP Saturday night track.
  At least one race is scheduled for West Liberty Raceway for next season, and I am hoping for more. Unable to make the single event there last season, I am anxious to hear to roar of the engines on the big 1/2 mile. Meanwhile, as we wait patiently for the release of the Deery Brothers schedule it is now only eleven weeks until the first green flag is set to fly at Memphis!
  Happy New Year, and thanks for reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment