Friday, July 13, 2018

Rain Stops Scotland County

 With shower preparations complete, I looked at the radar and made the decision to head for the Scotland County Speedway in Memphis,Mo. for their county fair racing special. Even though there were some dark clouds overhead, I made the one hour trip minus any precipitation. Unlike the Lee county fair the night before, where admission to the fairgrounds was free, and a ticket to the races was required, Scotland County was charging admission at the fairgrounds entrance with admission free to the speedway. With a wrist band purchased, it did not take long for me to realize my mistake. Sometime between the Facebook post I saw before leaving home that no rain had fallen and my arrival in the grandstands, obviously there had been rain. Still there were wheels on the track, the pits were beginning to fill, and my best guess was that the start time may be delayed. However, about 6:20, the skies opened, and nothing short of a downpour eliminated any chance of racing. After a few minutes during which promoter Mike Van Genderen likely communicated with fair officials, the announcement came over the pit P.A. that racing was cancelled, and rain checks would be honored for a show next Saturday night, pending any further issues. I am not sure if that will work out for me, but tonight was my first complete washout after arriving at the track in 2018, so I cannot complain. Hopefully I can get back to Memphis at some point, as it truly is one of the raciest tracks around.
  Quincy Raceways may be a Sunday night destination, depending on how the rest of the weekend goes, and the IMCA Deery Brothers Summer Series event at the CJ Speedway in Columbus Junction, Iowa next Wednesday is in our plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment