Saturday, April 14, 2012

Enough, Already!

When the racing schedules began to come out last winter, as is my practice, I started to flesh out a tentative schedule. Part of the reason for this is to lock in any vacation days at work I may need to catch the races I do not want to miss. So one of the first dates I picked was Friday, April 13. The reason was because there was not one, but two events I on this date that caught my eye. So without making a firm decision about the Corn Belt Clash/IMCA late model show on the Davenport, Iowa half mile, or the MARS late model headliner at Tri City Speedway in Pontoon Beach,Il, I planned for the day off. After all, if it was raining one direction, might not the other be ok? But then, perhaps the extra mild winter made me forget how fickle April can be. So all I could do was sit and watch not only both of those events get postponed, but also any thoughts of sliding on to any other Friday night venue. In fact, the midwest was not a total washout, as Farmer City Raceway did manage to get a show in, but the prospect of driving 200 plus miles both ways on a stormy night just seemed too much. Per the reports, Farmer City drew 18 UMP late models and a whopping 38 UMP modifieds, with Bobby Pierce taking late model honors, and Jeff Leka topping the mods.
Still, we held out hope for better weather on Saturday, with the Corn Belt Clash moving on to Peoria,Il for a $4,000 to win race which had rules adjusted to also allow the UMP cars to compete. But again, the weatherman has failed us, and so I find myself on the couch wishing race tracks were like baseball stadiums - a break in the rain, and we could get the show in.
At Least the Cardinals are beating the Cubs - so far!
And now as I type this missive, I have just received an E- mail letting me know that the UMP Northern All Stars show scheduled for tomorrow night at Quincy Raceways has already been postponed one week due to the wet conditions and promise of more rain on the way. So weather permitting, you may see me at some far away race track tomorrow night, as I am feeling an intense need for speed. And if not, next week we will take aim at the Deery Brothers Summer Series show at West Liberty, Iowa Raceway, the back to Quincy Raceway for the $2,000 to win late model headliner on Sunday. Catch some racin' when you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment