Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"O" For The Weekend

The past weekend was a grim reminder of things to come, as I did not get in any racing for the first weekend since early June. Saturday night was taken up with our annual hog roast at church, and although I was plenty busy, I was also wondering what I was missing at the Cedar County Raceway in Tipton,Ia. Last season was my first ever visit there for the Dhouly - Devore race, and I definitely hated to miss it this year. An inch and a half of rain rolled through our area Friday night, so I was only mildly surprised when Quincy Raceways pulled the plug on Sunday night racing even though Saturday and Sunday were sunny and breezy. Unfortunately, there were some new cars arriving at the speedway , not thinking to call ahead.
With that in mind, I am eagerly anticipating the upcoming weekend, easily the busiest of the " postseason. " It would be a disservice to try and list all the special events slated for this Saturday and Sunday, as I counted at least ten shows within a couple hundred miles worthy of any race fans hard earned money. I will say that my plans are to attend the Pepsi USA late model Nationals at 34 Raceway in West Burlington. As long as this race has been held, and this will be year 19, I have missed only the 1997 edition due to work commitments. Should the weatherman interfere, there is a non sanctioned open late model show paying $7,000 to win at Pontoon Beach, Il on Friday, and a now one day only World of Outlaw late model show at I-55 Raceway in Pevely,Mo. on Saturday. So much good racing on the same weekend!
Quincy Raceways will try again on Sunday, with the Sprint Invaders, late models for $1,000 to win, UMP modifieds and hobby stocks. Start times have been moved up, with hot laps scheduled for 4:00 P.M.
The season is winding down way too fast, so take in some action this weekend wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment